Monday, November 29, 2010

Today

Here is what we know right now.

Maddi's cranial pressure is looking good. It has gone up a little bit from this morning but they have completely turned off the sedation so we expect those levels to raise a bit as she tries to wake.

She is reactive to stimulation by flexing her feet and moving her arms a bit. Yesterday she "crossed Mid-line". What that means is that she purposefully moved her arm across her chest to reach the area of stimulation. This is a great sign.

They have start feeding her through the tube in teeny tiny amounts. If she was tiny before she might stay there for a while.

She shown that she can cough which is one of the prerequisites of getting the breathing tube taken out.

She looks good and is slowly waking up.
She gets pissed when they try to clean her teeth and reacts a lot when they mess with her. All of this is a great thing!

They say that "being spitting mad" is a good thing right now. That means her brain is working.

We are hoping to get a good Neurological exam today to get a baseline idea of what we have to deal with as she get better.

The have also taken the neck brace off so she is looking more and more comfortable.

So now you know what I know.

10 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of you and your family. I don't think I've met Maddi, but she's got some 'Prince' in her so she's definitely strong. Stay positive and things will turn out.
    All my love,
    Anitra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, My Heavens!!! We had no idea, until you posted on Facebook yesterday! Our thoughts are prayers are with your family and Maddi! Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear of this collision (no accident since the other driver purposefully went though a yellow light). It is times like these when the things matter least and people matter most. I hope you know that we are pulling and praying for you. Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read your comments I know exactly where you are at (except I wasn't hurt myself, don't be shy on pain meds Bev, cracked ribs are nasty, and do as much deep breathing as you can so you don't get pneumonia)...and the waiting was the worst. It took Nikole over 24hrs to open her eyes for only a few seconds after they stopped the sedation and extubated her (took the breathing tube out). Maddi is young and strong and obviously a fighter which is what she will need over the next while. I wish I had thought of a blog (we didn't want to post stuff on fb) how theraputic it can be writing and not having to tell the story mutiple times...There is one big difference here, I wasn't hurt myself, so don't be shy on pain meds Bev, cracked ribs are nasty, and do as much deep breathing as you can so you don't get pneumonia. Thank you for sharing these intimate details...we are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very sad to hear the news about the car accident, but I am grateful to hear the updates! You are all so positive and I am praying for you all to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know a lot of you, but Maddi is my best friend. We hangout all the time. I just wanted you to know we are all glad she is doing better: Me and the rest of her friends, I mean. It's nice to know what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Bev for doing this so that we are all updated with what is going on. I will continue to pray for you all and for a full recovery for Maddi. It is so hard to be so far away from family when they are going through things like this. Love you all!!!

    As for Samantha_31...I am Maddi's Mother's first cousin. And I think the majority of the above comments have been posted by other family members. Glad that you and Maddi's other Friends are here to support Maddi and her family at this time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so glad things are looking up and improving by the minute! I always knew a little attitude was good for the soul!!! Our thoughts and prayer are with you all! Love the Roundy's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im so glad shes getting a little better :) I hope she gets better fast :) We all miss her at school and wish for her to get well :) We love you maddi :)
    -Jessica B.

    ReplyDelete