Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Behind the Scene Heroes!

This post is a copy of one posted on our family blog; SandersFjord. For those that don't understand the reference to a Fjord, we chose that as a physical symbol of what our family is all about; Refuge, Safety, Acceptance, Love.

The Sanders' ancestry is from Norway. Many fjords or "safe natural harbors" are found along the coast, with steep protective cliffs. The idea is that OUR FAMILY is a safe harbor from the storms of life and that who and what you are (naturally) is welcomed, loved and cherished.


I have focused mainly on Maddi and her recovery but there are other members of our family that have become HEROES to me. This experience has allowed them to show their greatness and capacity to manage difficult things.

Maddi's injury and recovery has affect everyone of us at the Fjord. Life is good and Maddi is making amazing progress. Maddi and I will continue to post on Maddisized as a way for her to get her thought and feelings down and for me to specifically target the recovery phase of this journey, however, the SandersFjord is still operational and we are still doing lots together and learning and growing, knitting our hearts together.

Brooke and Mason have been amazing in their own realm during this difficult time. I wanted to pay tribute to them! Having older children made being away so much easier but at the same time that much more difficult. I missed them so much!

The two of them took care of each other so well. While I wasn't there to actually witness the "deeds" they need some commendation for how well they held things together. I am sure they had their bad days just like we did, but they ate, did laundry, did dishes, went to school, kept their grades up and carried on like amazingly responsible people.

I really think I have been blessed with the greatest kids! I am not the perfect mom and I am sure I left my own weirdness on them but I am so pleased with the people they are. I am thoroughly convinced that it has very little to do with John and I.

Kids come the way they come and there is very little you can do to change personality. Guidance, acceptance, correction and love are the crucial element of parenting.

We are a quirky bunch but I love it! I wouldn't trade places with anyone though................ I would love to go on a cruise or travel like some families do. I just want to do all of that with my own amazing people!

I would love to have been a fly on the wall to see them in action. I guess I will have to let my imagination fill in the blanks. One of the hardest things for me, personally, during the hospital time was when I went home, the kids were on needles thinking I was judging their work. If I got up to do dishes, the kids would think I was complaining about what they hadn't done.

I think that is pretty normal being the first time on their own, handling all of the household stuff. It is similar to the experience of a newlywed, the first time mom or mother-in law comes to visit. They want to prove they have it all together even though the visitor just wants to see them.

Really inside I was just so glad I could be home with them and do dishes or anything for THEM. I just wanted to breathe their air and soak in the feelings of home, to place those memories in a sacred place for retrieval during those difficult and lonely times at the hospital.

It is an interesting ride on all accounts when tragedy strikes. Everyone is hurting, worrying, grieving and doing their best. Misunderstandings are bound to take place. It was so hard not being able to be there for Mason and Brooke. They did just fine but this mom wanted to be there.

I am keenly interested in their experience and perceptions. They both are people of few words and rarely give anyone an inside view. They were so busy trying to help us out that there was no room for us to help them. I am so grateful for those two remarkable people! They are heroes too!

Love you both, Eternally, After All and Forever!

Here's to you both; Mason and Brooke------You Rock!!!!

1 comment:

  1. That was well said. You have great kids. I know Ricky talked to Brooke several times at school and Hebraic she was always upbeat and positive. The few times I was over there Brooke was very much the adult and considerate to the needs of those around her.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete