Thursday, March 3, 2011

Learning to Walk by Maddi

Learning To Walk Learning to walk again was hard but I did it. I don’t remember much, but I remember that I was telling my legs to move and they just wouldn’t. It was very frustrating because walking was one of the many things that came automatic. I really had to think and focus to walk, but before it just happened and I didn’t have to think. My mom started by sitting me up on the side of the bed and “dancing” with me. She made me put weight on each foot and when we would move from the bed to the chair she would tap my heels to remind me to move my feet. That’s what got me walking. Thank you mom! She told and showed Matt what she was doing and he said, “I think she can walk.” and she said, “Let’s try it.” My PT (physical therapist) Matt was the one who pushed me to get walking. At first my parents had to help me and then they gave me a walker, I was mad at first because I didn’t want to need the walker. I didn’t want to be like that forever. I got so mad that I flung the walker against the wall, but it helped me gain independence, confidence, and my balance. Thank you Matt and mom for helping me walk. Walking is becoming automatic again.

No comments:

Post a Comment