Monday, February 21, 2011

Hands of Love By Maddi and Mom

Mom-We thought we would share some of the videos taken of Maddi during her recovery. Like the photos we didn't want to post them earlier because we wanted to get Maddi's permission to send them into cyberspace. We figured that we would post them one at a time with a bit of commentary.


This first video is the day that I had imperial proof that Maddi was there and that she was trying to interact with her environment! It was such a happy day! It was a great soothing moment for me as a mom to have her purposefully using her body to communicate. I had no doubt that she was there and I knew she was stuck in this broken body. I was longing to hear the voice of my girl. I wanted some reassurance. I was granted that in the 25 seconds that you will see.

It is important to note that at the time that the video was taken Maddi was unable to walk, talk, eat, or move in anyway on her own. We were still repositioning her every 2 hours to prevent bedsores. During this time she was moved to a transitional care facility with the hope that she would continue to recover. Some patients recover quickly and others never do. At that time we didn't know which would be our outcome.

I know many of the people close to us had a "feeling" or were given inspiration at that time that Maddi would completely recover. John and I were not among those given that reassurance. We were really good about not spreading the gloom and doom that we were facing each day with those around us. We were in a position to hope and pray for a miracle but prepare for reality. I am glad the miracle was our outcome.

With that background, as you watch the video put yourself into our shoes of not knowing and the agonizing longing to see Maddi find her way out of the maze in her head. It will heighten your appreciation for this teeny, tiny miracle.
I know that I described this moment in an earlier post but seeing it truly gives appreciation for something that words were inadequate to describe.

When Maddi did the interlocking of the fingers my interpretation was that she loved me and that she wanted to let us know that she was still in there. After talking and asking her about that time, she confirmed that I was correct.


I count that day as such a blessing. I am so grateful for Maddi's recovery. I don't know why she was chosen to have such a miracle but I am so grateful and feel responsible to pay it forward and find a way to help others in some way.




Maddi-

During that time I was thinking, "I cannot communicate. How can I tell my mom that I love her?." " I couldn't make the words come out of my mouth!"

By that time, I was pretty good at moving my arms. I had to really think about it but it wasn't too hard to get my brain and body to agree.

When I was able to make the connection and interlock our fingers I was excited that I could " kind of" communicate!

Here are some of the things I wanted to say then that I couldn't:

  • I love you Mom and Dad.
  • Thank you for being there with me and for loving me.
  • Please take me home to Mason and Brooke then I can be there when Jacob comes home.

I am so glad that I am able to communicate now! It is so much better! Now I can send out a thank you to all of the people that helped me.

  • I am grateful that Jesus came to visit me.
  • I am grateful for my family and for all the tease therapy!
  • I am grateful for doctors: Dr. Murphy, Dr. Meyers, Dr. Such-Neibar and Dr. Niedzwecki, Dr. Hubbard and the other Neuro Docs in the PICU, Dr. Morgan
  • I am grateful for the Occupational Therapists: Teirra, Tera, Catalina, Stormy and Dave and now Darin.
  • I am grateful for the Physical Therapists: Lisa, Matt, Danielle
  • I am grateful for Speech Therapists: Melanie, Dana, Leeann and now Harmony.
  • I am grateful for the many nurses that helped me too. There are too many to name and I know I would forget someone but you know who you are!
  • I hope I didn't forget anyone. My mom and dad have tried to keep a good record but even they forget. Thanks to anyone who helped me as I recovered.

Then our fingers were interlocked temporarily, but now our hands and hearts are interlocked for all eternity.

3 comments:

  1. That brought me to tears. Thanks for sharing. Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was brought to tears. I remember reading the post where you spoke about this little miracle, Beverly, thank you so much for posting the video to go along with it. It is so much more powerful to see it happening.

    Maddi, you are so remarkable, keep up the amazing work!!! It is so very cool to read about that moment from your perspective as well as your Mothers.

    Love You all,
    Your Cousin,

    Amanda J. Prince

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing such a personal part of your life with us.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete