Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Maddi 2.0

Getting the homeschooling started this week has been much better than the last. I think I am adjusting to Maddi's new rhythm. We have been working on multiplication and increasing processing speed for basic skills. It is so interesting to work with Maddi and her new "motherboard". As a teacher it has always been so fascinating to figure out how someone learns but I find it doubly fascinating to have a front row seat for this relearning. Interestingly enough, Maddi is following the same patterns of learning that she did when she was young. So time........ is what it is about.



Maddi has brainstormed for an essay comparing and contrasting Harry Potter and Percy Jackson as heroes. She has been reading Percy Jackson and we are definitely Potter fans. It has been interesting to see her organize and make decisions and analyze character traits. I am pretty impressed! That being said it takes SOOOO much work! She can do it but we just take it one bite at at time. We started with brainstorming about each character. The end game is the rebuilding of each step of the writing process


It may seem silly and unnecessary in comparison to other skills but when you consider how much time Maddi spent writing, it makes complete sense. Maddi loves to write and her ideas are still there, they just need a way out. She wants to write about her experiences during this life changing journey. This is just one step to complete that goal. It is amazing how much we take for granted.

There have been some hard things and learning to understand Maddi 2.0 is an adjustment. Eating is probably to most time consuming task. I totally understand, sometimes it is just too much work to eat. Organization and follow through are both issues when it comes to any task. It takes so much more time to get anything done but I tend to be a hyperactive type anyway, maybe this is the Lord's way of helping me simmer down. There is definitely the mourning for what has been lost but the joy is so sweet for what has been retained.

I am completely amazed at Maddi's attitude. Under the circumstances, one would expect some resentment or anger but all I have seen is humble acceptance at this life altering situation. Her focus is on how to do the job she was sent back to do. She wants to be able to help people feel hope. Her deepest desire is to be who the Lord needs her to be. She often says, "God gives us trials for a reason."

This is one area that she and I differ. I don't think God gives us trials, I think he is an opportunist and provides a way for good to be a result of all things, good and bad. I would not be as calm if I thought God was up there pushing the buttons, controlling every bad accident, challenge, or trial. I believe that our Heavenly Father is constantly aware of our situation and is in our cheering section sending blessings and help our way! He knows we can make it and wants what is best for us even if we can't agree with him at the time.

I believe that God knows us and has endowed us with the ability to rise above every challenge we are faced with. That doesn't mean that it will be easy or fair, it just means that work, faith and enduring to the end will be a constant companion as we work through it. Sometimes I want to scream that it isn't fair or that it shouldn't be this hard but really, how does that better the circumstance. Everyone has hard things to deal with and no one has a monopoly on the worst of it. Fairness and level of difficulty are completely irrelevant factors.

Attitude, Determination and Faith are the key factors for success. The success I am referring to has nothing to do with a bank account, retirement, security, achievement or status. This situation by necessity has required us to let go of any and all attachment to any of the above packages. Any goals or plans we had are no longer even pertinent in our life and we have no recourse to change the outcome except with our Attitude, Determination and Faith to move forward and accept the new course we are on.

I believe that a side affect of agency often times is that bad things happen outside of the control and/or intent of anyone. The real test is whether you can get through the dark times focusing on the blessings and tender mercies. There is a God and he does love us.

It has been so fabulous to be home! The smallest things are such a luxury! Here is my newest luxury list:


1. Home cookin' baby! Soup, Roast, Stir Fry, Salads.
2. Indexing! How I have missed that sacred therapy!
3. Just hanging out with my fabulous kids and amazing husband!
4. Reading. I haven't had time to read for fun for so long!
5. Being at home when my kids FIRST get home from school. I love that!

Anyway, life has changed drastically for us. I expect more changes as the additional burdens and issues emerge but overall I still feel so truly blessed!

4 comments:

  1. Bev you truly have an attitude that all of us can adopt and appreciate. The road less traveled is sometimes filled with obstacles, but can also be filled with some beautiful and wonderous things. There are so many people who are here to help when possible with those obsticales. There are those of us who have been a witness to a miracle and the renewal of faith and hope. Stay strong as much as you can and then let the Lord carry you when needed and let the rest of us be the human hands that can do some of the work.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing journey thus far...I enjoy reading your updates & seeing how far Maddi has come throughout this period of healing, learning, readjusting, etc. What a remarkable journey. I am excited that Maddi wants to write about this time & I want to read it one day when the time is right. reading things from your perspective has been amazing, but I am sure things will be different from her eyes. I am also certain that what she writes about this experience will bring hope, courage & strength to all those who read it. What a remarkable journey has taken place here. You all never cease to amaze me with your strength throughout all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! I continue to be in awe of your strength and your faith. Still sending love and prayers your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bev... I had no idea about this until the other day. What a wonderful story of faith!! The first time I met you I fell in love with you and even more now. My heartfelt love goes out to you. Francene Jensen...Tanner's mom. The reason it came up was because I said I sure hope Mrs. Sanders is around until both of my other boys get through 1st grade and then Crystal Blankenship told me about this. May Maddi continue to full recovery!! All our love!

    ReplyDelete