Friday, February 18, 2011

Remembering By Maddi

I remember................ many things. I said, "I remember all things." when I first started talking but that is not really true. I do remember that I was scared when the accident happened. I remember taking my first breath in the car because my mom told me that I needed to breathe and that is the truth.
  • I saw my life flash before my eyes.
  • I saw happiness, family and love.
  • I saw my mom and I crying when Jacob left on his mission. They were a mixture of tears of happiness for him going to serve the Lord but sadness because we would miss him a lot.
  • I saw our family trip to Yellowstone and how much fun we had together.
  • I saw Brooke and I at the annual cousin sleepover that my second cousin Shannon hosts.
  • I saw my dad and I in friendly bantering over who loves each other the most. I win with Eternally, After All, Forever, More!
  • I saw Mason and I playing in the "spaceship" wagon.
  • I saw myself cross stiching with Grandma Sanders.
  • I saw our family camping at Tabby Shadows with the Scotts.
  • I saw Sam and I getting really hyper off of perfume that we call "highspray".

After all the reminiscing, I remember riding in the ambulance with my dad. I remember my dad saying that it would be OK. I felt good to know that dad thought that I would live through it and that he was with me. I felt loved.

I remember the helicopter ride. I was thinking, "Am I going to die or am I going to live?" It was cool being in a helicopter for the first time but not the best circumstances.

The answer to that question is... that I lived. My dad was right and I still love him Eternally, After All, Forever More. I love my family the most, no matter what anyone says!

I have always been a little quirky but now I am really quirky. I just feel different, not that it is good or bad, it is just different. I am Maddi 2.0 ( That is what my dad calls me. I think it is kind of cute.)
  • I find myself staring off into space a lot! Before staring off was rare but now it is not only common but easy and often.
  • Before I could eat and drink without thinking, but now if I don't think I choke.
  • It takes a long time to eat and get dressed. Those things used to be automatic, like my OT (occupational therapist) Darin said. Now they take work!
  • Doing school work and getting to sleep are a lot harder now. I can remember how to do my math, history, science and language arts but now I have to work and practice to be able to do them. Again, before.........automatic, now................not so much.
  • School work before I didn't even have to try, it was a breeze! Now..........not so much. I will have to work at it to get good grades.
  • Before I never thought about my back hurting but now it hurts all the time!
  • If there are t00 many conversations and any background noise I can't follow what is being said. It is frustrating.
  • Where before I could watch TV, do my homework and talk on the phone all at the same time. Sure miss those skills!
  • As Darin (OT) says, I now have a guy's brain that can't multi-task at all!

As you can see I am different now but I can still do many things. All the memories that flashed before my eyes in the accident are the most important and I can still do ALL of them. I look forward to making many more new memories to add to flashback list.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Maddi what a wonderful attitude you have. We are so glad that you have come back to not only your family, but all your friends who love you so much. It's amazing what we take for granted in our every day lives. Things will get easier for you as time goes on or you'll learn to adapt and develop more skills to help you. You've beaten the odds. That is a great accomplishment. Everything else will come in time. Hope to see you soon.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you sweety!, JUst what I needed a Maddi post to know life it good.
    happy Anniversary to your mom and dad! (a day late)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddi, keep up the great work! You are an inspiration! Remember John 14:26:
    "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost...shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance...." Stay close to the Spirit. Still praying for you!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete