Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Synergy of LOVE

This post is from Maddi's dad. I haven't written many posts, in fact the number of posts I have written could be counted on only a few fingers. Writing is Bev's area of strength not mine. But, after scrounging up a temporary computer, my laptop should be at "Primary Computer's Medical Center" after suffering a "THDI" (Traumatic Hard Drive Injury), and reading Bev's post I have to write one of my own, just leaving a comment would be insufficient.

I cannot count how many times Bev and I have heard any of the following.

"... you make it look so easy."
"... I know that I couldn't do what the two of you are doing."
"... where do you get the strength you need to carry on?"
"... how can you possible divide your time between Maddi and Brooke and Mason back home, and make it work?"
"... the two of you are so strong, how do you do it?"

Well, let me give you a little hint. This isn't easy! For every time a comment is made like one of those listed above we often feel like we are just hanging by our finger tips, its just not obvious to the casual observer. I see things visually and Bev says I have a Cartoon Brain because of the way I try to explain thing to her, so please bear with me. Like I said, this is NOT easy, it is the hardest thing either one of us has ever done. We feel like some cartoon character that has fallen over the edge of a cliff and is hanging by the roots of some plant that is growing out of sight, hoping that there isn't a tag on that plant that reads "Acme Gardens". I can't begin to imagine what this is like for Maddi, insert here some scene from the "Road Runner" or "Bugs Bunny" where the impossible happens. I can only comment on what I know and feel.

Now let me explain why it is that we seem to make this whole experience appear easy. First, if not for our faith in GOD and his love for us things would not be as they are today; Maddi's recover would not be the same as is now, or will be, and our ability to cope would have dried up on day 2. Bev and I have what we feel is an extremely special relationship, we have learned that there is nothing that the three of us cannot accomplish. When referring to the three of us I mean Beverly, Myself and GOD. When Bev is having a moment of weakness, and for her they are very short moments, I am there for her support and for her to lean on. And, when I am having my down times and moments of weakness, of which there are many more, I have Beverly to lean on. Together we complement and complete each other in a way that provides a great deal of strength for each other, and that is before we include GOD in the equation.

Just as Maddi grows stronger every day, Beverly and I, and our relationship with each other and our relationship with God, grows stronger. Given a choice none of us would choose to go through this again. However, we don't have the option of making a choice, so we have to work hard every day to make the best of what we have.

I wish to thank everyone who has provided us with help and support. Both family and friends, though the line of distinction between the two has blurred, THANK YOU. Beyond having each other we have countless others who have been there when we've needed that little extra something. You know who you are, and if you are reading this post then you are one of our supporters. There, now you too are a statistic. These kinds of things, the accident and Maddi's injury, always seem to happen to the "other" people. And now the John and Bev Sanders family are now part of the "other" people, and so are you by being there and supporting us. THANK YOU!

On Maddi's FaceBook page here status once read; "I am an Awesome Ninja". Maddi is an Awesome Ninja and proves it everyday when she defies medical science and does what the doctors say she should be able to do. Well, even "Awesome Ninja's" need an awesome MOM and Maddi has one. Bevely has teaching in her DNA and that is just what Maddi needs. Thank you Beverly for being who you are and for being able to motivate and teach Maddi the way you do. I love you Beverly, you are an "Awesome Ninja, Mom".

I didn't know I had that many words in me.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post John. Don't forget you are an awesome Ninja dad! Love and Hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole family are ninjas. You short change your writing ability, John. Keep it up. You are all incredible. Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making me cry!..again =) Love you all the most! You guys are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of know what we can do or how we would handle such situations, until we are faced with them. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. My heart aches for the trial you are all going through. The whole family have proved they are all ninjas. Both of you are very good writers. I have shed many a tear reading your posts. Keep up the good work. hugs and prayer for everyone.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was inspiring. The love between a husband and wife should be the heart and soul of the family unit. Keeping God in that partnership is the key. You guys are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing what you can accomplish when needed too. And you can go to great lengths for a child! God new you could do this. He just had to prove it to you! Good job on passing the test intact and strong!

    ReplyDelete