Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Attitude

The title alludes to the fact that we have seen a little attitude with Maddi today. Under normal circumstances I might be complaining about her orneriness but I was kind of doing a happy dance again. She is asserting herself in what she wants.

She actually picked up a DVD and handed it to us to tell us which movie she wanted to see. She is definitely getting better at letting us know what she wants.

The best news ever is that the insurance has approved one hour per day for PT and OT. That is amazing! One more step till we get to the three hour mark, Today she did 75 minutes without a break! Maddi is almost half way there. I have always known that she is a hard worker but she is showing Olympic Strength and Determination!

Watching Maddi walk was awesome again today. She even did some stairs without any trouble. It was kind of a funny story. Maddi was walking with Matt the PT guy, he was curious about her balance. She saw a door and walked over to it, used her hand and opened the door. Behind the door was a set of stairs that they use to help patients master that skill.

She didn't even hesitate, up the stairs she went and then she turned around and went right back down them. An amazing sight to see! This skill of walking up stairs can take a long time to master but Maddi just did it, without any kind of practice. Matt was blown away!

The OT is going a little slower more out of motivation than anything. They are asking her to pick things up and put them in different places. Now, Maddi and cleaning up has always been a little iffy but this activity seems to drive her crazy! It seems like she is bored. They asked us to find other objects that she might want to pick up.

I thought she might like some Littlest Pet Shop or Club Penguin dudes. We picked up a couple of those, I think they are pretty cool. I don't know about Maddi's opinion so we will see. She is doing better using her right hand though!

Anyway, everyday there is something new that she does, the newest thing with me is that she will put both of her hands in mine and then pull herself up from a sitting position. I have been practicing this with her for a couple of days. Now she is doing it without me initiating the action for her. It is so exciting to see her doing so many things.

Tomorrow will be another great day!

7 comments:

  1. I loved when she put her right hand on top of mine! it made me so happy to see her use her right side today!
    way to go Maddi, you'll be out to lunch with us again soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Maddi's tremendous progress! Still praying often for all of you. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is doing so amazing! Every day I get more excited. Thanks for the updates. I wish I could be there and see all this progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats way good news! About those littlest petshop things, my sisters got some little things called Zooblesthat are kinda like transformers for girls. You put them on certain spots on their envirronments and they pop into animals. That might help her want to pick them up to see them transform. Uh! I WANT to come see her, I almost went a few weeks ago but my dad said we couldnt since we didn't contact you, WHEN CAN I COME SEE HER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great news! Yay Maddi! You are awesome. You looked beautiful yesterday. I opened the blog this morning and Beckam says, "Is that cute little Maddi?" I am going to have to bring him to see you. He wanted to come yesterday, he put his shoes on and said, "look mom, i have my shoes on to go see Maddi!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome news. It seems to just get better and better. You once said yoiu wanted her spitting mad. Maybe that is on it's way. Way to go Maddi. Hugs to you all. Auntie Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so thrilled with and proud of Maddie and the incredible leaps and bounds she is making with her PT. What a blessing to have the insurance approve that hour of each. We'll pray that they'll up that to three hours. Keep fighting - both you and Maddie!

    ReplyDelete