Thursday, December 30, 2010

Writing


Today was amazing! As the photos shows Maddi wrote her name and got busy drawing hearts and smiley faces! This was one area that I underestimated Maddi. According to what I was told about brain injury I didn't think that the fine motor/cognitive connection would come for a little while. When the OT guy named Dave brought out the white board I was thinking "OK????" I was literally blown away.

He asked her to take the marker and she was a little hesitant. But once she took it she twirled in in her fingers and stopped dead in a perfect writing grip! Just that alone was a sight to see. She even used both hands to take the top off! The first thing he asked for her to write a "M" for Maddi. She didn't even hesitate. She started on the bottom right and wrote from right to left. As a first grade teacher that is the opposite direction we are looking for but Maddi wrote a perfect capital M. I was impressed at the "M" but she kept on going

Then he asked her to write the rest of her name. It took some waiting but after he reminded her that the "A" was next she wrote a beautiful lowercase printer "A" just like she always does with her name and continued on with the double d's and the "i". She was a little frustrated with the marker because it was old and dry so her lines were not as precise as she liked. So, true to Maddi form she went back over the light parts to make the lines look the same. Her handwriting hasn't changed! It looks the same as before the accident. Personality is shown in handwriting and of course, she is still left handed!

After that Dave asked her to write "I love Mom". She wrote her "I" and then proceeded to draw a heart for the word love. She kind of got stuck there drawing so many hearts! I like to think she was just trying to show me how much she loves me! After that Dave asked her to write a "L". She drew two lowercase L's side by side and then turned it into a smiley face. She got stuck there too for a little while. AMAZING!!!

I will be bringing a white board and "new" markers tomorrow for our "quiet times". The happy dance is not even enough to convey my elation! I have always thought she knew what was going on but I had no proof. It was just my mommy gut talking. Now, I know for sure that she is as aware as I thought and she is the same sweet thing as before.

7 comments:

  1. The news just keeps getting better and better. I am truly amazed that she has come so far in such a short time. Well done Maddi. We are watching and praying for a full recovery soon. Hugs. Carol and Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to see Maddi today and to watch her walk. I felt priviledged to be there to see some of the OT/PT work. We sort of spied on her a little while Bev was cleaning up some of the toys. Then Ari and I were worried that we may be distracting her, so we went and looked at the fish for a while until they were finished. But watching her was a sight for sore eyes. Thank you for letting us see her today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh to see her write her name!!!! Even I recognized that hand writing, it looks exactly the same! Such a happy day for sure!
    And yes I think she was writing so many hearts because she does love you so much and is very aware of how much you love her.
    Now today I think is the best Christmas present ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is, without a doubt, the prettiest picture I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah!!!! We are doing the happy dance with you. On our visit the other day, I had a "mom" moment, just watching her, I know she is ready to convey what she is thinking, I could see her processing so much. She is AWESOME!! We are so proud of her. Can't wait to get her home and take her bowling :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the chills right when I saw that picture! I am so happy for you guys! What an amazing daughter you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh that's amazing! SO exciting! you go maddi!!!!

    ReplyDelete