Monday, December 6, 2010

Moving Day

Well, it is official. We have made the move across the floor over to NTU! It feels much more homey here than in the PICU. We piled all of Maddi's things onto her bad and away we rolled.

After 10 days in the PICU it feels good to be in a room with a window. Now I might be able to get my days figured out.

They showed us her MRI and now we have a picture to go with where she is at. There is definitely damage going on in there especially around the hypothalmus, think shaken baby syndrome. It isn't insurmountable but it will take some time for her brain to figure out what is going on.

She has been tracking me with her eyes today, mainly on the left side. Tonight she turned her eyes completely to the right to "find" me. That was the first time she has ever moved her eyes that direction.

She also pulled her arm away from me when I was working with her arms. It was definite that she didn't like the fingernail going across her palm. That was encouraging as well.

Not much else to report but the staff here at the NTU says this is where the miracles happen. I am happy to begin that road.

Stimulation is still agitating to her but she can take it in small amounts. We just have to pace it for her. We will give her a few days here before we open the door for visiting. Sorry for those who really would like to come. Please don't feel like we don't want you here. We do, but her brain isn't ready yet.

We switched to some Christmas music and she is doing well with the change.

Here in the NTU we don't have to have a password but the nurses at the admitting desk for the PICU said I might have to come and set them up everyday anyway!

Moving Day = Feeling Good!

3 comments:

  1. So excited and happy that you are finally out of the PICU and into the NTU. I know how "clinical/sterile" an ICU is from when my Father was in the hospital after his strokes and when he passed. Glad to hear that the NTU is more homey. I am sure it will help Maddi and you feel more comfortable. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that you have moved into a more homey area. A window!! Yay!! I think I would go nuts after 10 days without a window!! Miracles do happen!! Maddi will soon be back with us. As for her 'tracting' you with her eyes, that is so awesome!! Prayers as always coming your way.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great new's! She is a strong little cookie. She is being showered with prayers on a daily basis, we love you all. Can't wait to come visit (the girls are trying to be patient in coming for a visit) You may actually see them around tomorrow, they are scheduled to come for a tour with YW, I know they are dropping some stuff off that they all made. Please call me or have someone call me if I can bring you anything, or if you need me to come hang out, I'm open all day and can help.

    ReplyDelete