Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Better and Brighter!

I figured I better at least get a quick update out today just because I didn't want the blog to get stuck on a not so happy note.

I don't know if we have adjusted to them or if they have adjusted to us but things were so much better today. Yesterday they took care of the major hiccups and so today it was great to have things quiet and Maddi perked right up again! I can breath a little easier now. I really am trying to have a good attitude and that helps Maddi keep a positive outlook too.

We are still waiting on a wheelchair but that will come!

She was orienting to her surroundings and was at least responding today! The therapists came in and evaluated Maddi and they at least seemed to know her abilities a little bit. They were amazed at what she is doing. I feel better now that they have a picture of my girl as someone who "needs" and will benefit greatly from rehabilitative physical therapy.

She was taking steps with her legs and putting weight on legs and arms and was following commands pretty well. It was great to see the therapists excited to see her responses. I think they caught the vision.

Maddi is working hard and really trying to figure things out. We are starting to see emotional responses now; sadness, frustration, anger and irritation. I look forward to the next couple of stages of healing with deep trepidation. We have been warned that it isn't pretty and can be a little terrifying but I guess it is like the last stages of labor when a baby is born. Nobody wants to do it but there is only one way to be delivered. That is how I am seeing these next two stages of healing. I just pray she gets in and gets out and then moves on!

Anyway, I am feeling much better and Maddi did so much better today than yesterday! So with that said, we are looking forward to better and brighter things to come, even if they are a little uncomfortable.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad today went better! She looked so good today, the kids really enjoyed seeing her. I know they could tell that she knew them, it made their day.
    Keep up the good work, all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so much better. It's good to know that the therapists who have seen this before feel like she is doing so well. I hate to see her go through the frustration and sadness but one can only imagine how anyone would feel in her state. We are always praying for her and for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that things are a little smoother for everyone and that Maddi is getting use to her surroundings. We are hoping to stop in and see her again soon.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you remember me, I'm Heather's sister in law. We met at Bear Lake....I just wanted to let you know that your family has been in our prayers and that you'll continue to be. We've seen first hand the miracles that our Heavenly Father performs and we are seeing them again in Maddi. We pray that the love and Spirit of our Heavenly Father will be with all of you this Christmas season and the many hard working months that you'll have ahead. It is very apparent what an amazing girl Maddi is!! We wish you the best of luck through Maddi's recovery!
    Rhonda Hoth

    ReplyDelete