Saturday, December 18, 2010

Friday and Saturday!

Yesterday was so busy that I didn't have ten minutes to do and update. We had a class on the G-tube, a meeting with insurance people and the social worker who helps you with all the paperwork that it takes to be here! It is amazing how exhausted I am just from the day to day stuff.

I am now in the routine of braiding Maddi's hair when I first get to the hospital. It is getting faster but it still takes almost an hour to get that job done. It is so much easier to do in the chair than in the bed! I usually play Christmas music and sing while I am braiding. Yesterday, it seemed to irritate her so today we didn't play the music. She was much more cooperative.

As for the good news in therapy, I didn't witness anything grand because I didn't get to be there. That makes for a bit of a boring post because I can't describe any new motor skills that Maddi is working on.

Speech therapy did come in and work with her and recommended the "Lip Smackers" lip balm to try and stimulate taste and her mouth. We bought her a bunch of flavors to help with that. I got a good response from the watermelon flavor but not so much from Dr. Pepper flavor. Mason says that the Dr. Pepper flavor smelled more like cherry and that is why she didn't recognize it.

The speech lady asked us to be working on yes/no responses using eye blinks. One blink for yes and two for no. It is kind of strange to try that but it really does work with Maddi. I was going to put on music for her and asked her if she wanted Christmas Music. She didn't blink at all. I asked her if she wanted piano music like Jacob and Brooke play and she did a long sustained blink. She did the same thing when I asked her if she wanted to see the playroom. Which she did. She played with some playdough while there. She squeezed it for me and let go of it when I asked her to. So fun to see her doing things!

John and I spent some time asking yes/no questions like; do you like spaghetti? She did a long blink. Do you like Owl City? Long blink. Does Mason like Owl City, no blink at all. That is pretty impressive! First off she had to remember what Owl City and Mason and then decide if he liked it or not. That was pretty complex. I am sure there is some scientist out there dismissing our report just on the variability factor but it seemed pretty deliberate to both John and I.

When I was getting her dressed after her bath today I told her to help me with her legs and she did. She lifted and bent her legs and then straightened them when I told her to. It takes her a while to respond but she did it. Most of the time I just don't give her enough time to think about and then move. The nurse tech also said that Maddi squeezed her hand when she asked her. She hasn't responded to much to all the other nurses and techs. I think she is becoming more and more aware of what is going on.

All of that is so encouraging! I totally believe in miracles. One family we have come to know well in the hospital have had a true miracle. The two year old had brain cancer and most of the doctors had given up hope for him. He and his family left the hospital yesterday. They have been here since May! They have to stay in Utah for 100 days but Cashy looked so good yesterday! He looked like an average two year old! They firmly believe that prayer is the vehicle used to bring about his great miracle. I believe that too!

I believe that Maddi will recover and will have a great life! It will take some work but I have never shied away from a challenge before and this is no different.

I know that there is a loving Heavenly Father that knows who I am and knows Maddi by name. He hears every prayer regardless of age, gender, religion and lifestyle without exception. God listens to every prayer whispered in passing and those spoken though grief and tears on aching knees.

We need every prayer offered and are so grateful for all those whispered and spoken in our behalf! We are truly amazed and overwhelmed by the goodness and kindness of people caring so much about us. Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. This is the best post ever!!!! Having her respond to questions and requests is incredibly awesome!!!!! Dismiss the scientists, and believe Maddi. Sha has already done amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's so nice to hear that she can answer your questions and follow instructions. Sounds like she remembers some things as well. That is just what I needed to hear!! Miracles do happen to those who believe in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is good news!! I look forward to your updates....sometimes so much so that if I don't see a post I start to worry. I can only imagine how busy you are. I know learning new things about feeding tubes and OT/PT things can be mind boggling. I have worked with kids and fed kids who have feeding tubes, and done some OT/PT work as well. There is a lot to remember and little tricks that need to be learned. I'm excited everyday when I hear about the things Maddi is learning. Even the most basic things are awesome and good news. I believe in miracles too. Everytime I look into the eyes of a child that have challenges I am so grateful to my Mom for teaching me how special and precious these children are. Maddi is one smart cookie and soon she'll be telling us all about her time that she spent in her mind. I truly believe that she is learning things from our Heavenly Father right now, that he is with her constantly.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every post just brings more good news. I love hearing how she is responding. Scientists dn't know it all. Sometimes God grants miracle nobody understands. I see every bit of progress as a miracle. Good work Bev and John. Maddi will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love hearing the good news. Keep it up Maddi! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. These baby steps seems to be getting more grand to me! So amazing what she is doing!

    ReplyDelete