Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day One NTU

Well, for the first day in the NTU it has been kind of busy. First, thing on the agenda today was to wash Maddi's hair.

As I took out the braid that was so kindly weaved in my thoughts were about dredlocks. Her hair was so crunchy and stiff! It is amazing how much a daily washing is worth. It took two hours for the nurse and I to get her hair washed, rinsed and combed out. Maddi loved it! She did really well during that time. There was some concern that it would over stimulate her but it relaxed her a lot. The mess in the back was so hard to comb out.

She looked so pretty with her hair fanned out from her head. After that it was braiding time again. I have been a fairly proficient braider but this was an exercise for me and great exercise for Maddi. We had to roll her both directions for washing, rinsing, combing and braiding. It was quite the workout for her!

She has done awesome today, her breathing is more natural and she is off the oxygen and doing great.

She has tried to sit up several times today and she actually tracked me as I walked around the bed and found me in a very purposeful way! YEAH! That felt great!

The Physical Therapists and the Occupational Therapists plan to come today and work with her and even get her up and into a chair! That will be a great moment as well.

So now you know what has been going on with us today. The simplest things take so long to do.

7 comments:

  1. but the simplest things can be so worth it! we love you guys. let us know when we can come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are progressing. Slow and simple. I spoke with my Aunt today. My cousin was in a car accident when we wre only 16. He was in a coma for 14 days!! They didn't have MRI's back then. He recovered well with just a little bit damage that he's had to work around. I know Maddi will do well.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so wonderful!!! just think a week ago we were so excited she turned her head to find voices! Now she's WATCHING you move around and trying to sit up, it's amazing!
    I'm not surprised she was relaxed getting her hair done, that's a long time for such a pretty lady to wait for a nice hair washing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so much progress these past few days. I love reading about Maddi's good news every day, it makes me happy to hear about every little thing that she does. We love her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, for Maddi's leaps and bounds with her recovery. I am glad that getting her hair washed and combed out and styled didn't over stimulate her. I would guess that since it was you doing it, it was easier for her to handle. I know I don't want just anyone touching my hair. Maddi is so strong and so are you!!! I love reading about her recovery progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a thrill to hear all the good news. I'm sure it felt wonderful for Maddi to have her hair washed and combed. These small miracles such as Maddi tracking to the right are wonderful baby steps in the right direction! Thank you for posting all the details of her recovery. I love her and am so glad to hear anything I can of her progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bev, thinking about you guys often! The kids are praying for Maddi at every prayer, and we are sending you vibes of strength and comfort. Keep the positive attitude- though I'm sure it is so hard at times. Do you know where she is on a Rancho scale? Or whatever scale they are using to track her progress? I have so many questions, but mostly praying that her recovery continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete